We are a team of UX and service design specialists working with organisations that want to significantly improve the way customers experience services.
We combine behavioural insight – from primary research – with interaction, mobile and web design expertise to create evidence-driven digital services. The goal: meet genuine customer needs and make a real difference.
Our approach provides evidence to fuel innovation, mitigate risk and ultimately enables you to deliver exceptional customer experiences. Evidence is key to driving change and bringing people with you.
Reasons people hire us
- We are specialists in user experience, research and service design. We are not a brand or marketing agency and we are not developers. We have a narrow but deep specialism
- We have proven expertise: our services are relied on by organisations serving hundreds of thousands of people, turning over hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue
- We achieve your goals by combining strategic research with experience in design, usability and a sharp eye for aesthetics
- We are 100% independent which means we are agile and easy to work with
A short manifesto
- Start with the usersEmpathy drives action. Digital service design should be led by customer or user needs not by technology, functionality or organisational structure. If you’re only looking at the problem from your own point of view you’re only going to be at best half right.
- Evidence not guess workGather evidence and explore hypotheses about your product or service. Use research-led prototypes and concepts to see what might be possible. Show, don’t tell.
- Seek out inspirationUnderstanding your users and customers will inspire you to improve your services. Inspire your customers through design.
- It needs to be top-notchDo your best to create something fantastic. We’re only on this planet for a short time, let’s make the most of it by delivering work we are hugely proud of.
- Embrace riskBravery and bold thinking up front provides space to iterate and the potential to pivot which mitigates the risk of a mediocre result.
- People are not resourcesPeople are individuals who bring different experiences, skills and perspectives to a project. Good people enjoy working as part of a respected team on ambitious projects that make a difference. Good people never stop learning.
- Life is about emotionLet’s engender positive experience through design because people always remember how you make them feel.
- Life is an adventureEmbrace it and see how far it will take you. Work on projects you believe in with people who want to explore, push boundaries and do something worth doing.
Sam designs projects for public sector and commercial clients at Mace & Menter. He has a background in research and interaction design and has led the UX design and audience insight on BIMA and BAFTA award winning projects.
He started his career at an embryonic lastminute.com in 1999 and went on to develop his experience at the BBC for eight years.
Efi is a UX specialist with extensive experience in research. Her academic background is in psychology with an MSc in Human Computer Interaction and a PDip in Health Psychology.
Efi’s work has always revolved around people, which led her to adopt strong user-centred values. She is passionate about understanding behaviour and attitudes and how they can be used to improve services.
Yvonne has managed websites and digital projects for organisations including The Samaritans, Nesta, Mind, Save the Children, Cancer Research and Amnesty International.
Having worked for agencies and charities, Yvonne understands what organisations need from an agency, and prides herself on being the clients’ champion, making sure their needs are always at the forefront of every project.
Natalie is a specialist in user centred design. Her expertise is in research, insight and synthesis as well as concepting and prototyping. She previously worked at Ideo in London and Palo Alto.
At Mace & Menter she has delivered design projects for government and in previous roles she’s worked on projects for Nokia and Ikea.
Ant studied Interaction Design at the Royal College of Art and worked for Flow Interactive before co-founding Mace & Menter. For Mace & Menter, Ant has worked on projects for NHS, eBay, Google and Bristol University.