We are a small, highly experienced team of researchers and designers working with organisations that want to significantly improve experiences for their customers.
Often people know that their services could be better but struggle to drive the change forward. We combine behavioural insight, gathered from primary research, with interaction, mobile and web design expertise to create evidence-driven digital services. The goal: meet genuine customer needs and make a real difference.
Whether you’re dealing with a quick discovery sprint, a large scale digital transformation or you just need a website people can use, the starting point is the same: how do your customers behave and what do they need to achieve their goals? Seeing the world through your customers’ eyes is key to driving long term positive change.
Our approach provides evidence to fuel innovation, mitigate risk and ultimately enables you to deliver exceptional customer experiences. Evidence is key to driving change and bringing people with you.
If your organisation is serving a customer group with complex needs, you need a way of designing your systems so that people can achieve their goals easily and intuitively.
Currently we work with government services, third sector, and ambitious e-commerce businesses, but ultimately our specialism is relevant to any organisation that runs a service that customers, suppliers or staff need to interact with.
We are 100% independent meaning we are agile and easy to work with.
We listen to the people who will use your service, build a detailed understanding of their needs at every step of their journey and design around these needs. This approach is key to building services that work.
Change can be hard to push through in a complex organisation. Evidence-based design can be used as a tool make change happen and mitigate risk. With proof of what customers really want you can get buy-in for your project and steer a successful transformation programme through.
We help teams drive digital discovery and transformation for the long term in organisations that want to make a significant difference.
Reasons people hire us
- We have proven expertise, our services are relied on by organisations serving hundreds of thousands of people, turning over hundreds of millions in revenue
- We are specialists in digital service and transactional design - we’re not a brand or digital marketing agency
- We achieve your goals by combining strategic research with experience in design, usability and a sharp eye for aesthetics
- We are 100% independent which means we are agile and easy to work with
A short manifesto
Our approach to design and business.
- Start with the users Empathy drives action. Digital service design should be led by customer or user needs not by technology, functionality or organisational structure. If you’re only looking at the problem from your own point of view you’re only going to be at best half right.
- Evidence not guess work Gather evidence and explore hypotheses about your product or service. Use research-led prototypes and concepts to see what might be possible. Show don’t tell.
- It needs to be really good Do your best to create something fantastic. We’re only on this planet for a short time, let’s make the most of it by delivering work we are hugely proud of.
- Embrace risk Bravery and bold thinking up front provides space to iterate and the potential to pivot and so mitigates the risk of a mediocre result.
- People are not resources People are individuals who bring different experiences, skills and perspectives to a project. People enjoy working as part of a respected team on challenging projects that will make a difference.
- Life is about emotion Let’s engender positive experience through design because people always remember how you make them feel.
- Life is an adventure Embrace it and see how far it will take you. Work on projects you believe in with people who want to explore, push boundaries and do something worth doing.
Sam designs and co-ordinates projects for public sector and commercial clients at Mace & Menter. He has a background in research and interaction design and has led the UX design and audience insight on BIMA and BAFTA award winning projects.
He started his career at an embryonic lastminute.com in 1999 and went on develop his experience at the BBC for eight years where he worked on the strategy and design of BBC Academy’s online services.
He went on to work as an independent consultant prior to founding Mace & Menter with Anthony Mace in 2012.
Outside work, he enjoys mountains, wheels, rivers and paddles, with or without his three children. He doesn't enjoy writing about himself in the third person.
Ant has been helping businesses improve their digital products and services since 2005, leading research and design projects for a diverse range of clients.
He previously worked for Flow Interactive and originally studied Interaction Design at the Royal College of Art. Ant has led projects for NHS, eBay, Google and Bristol University.